Pages

May 10, 2013

Scrabble Family Love Decoration


One of my favorite ways to decorate in my house is to take a usual item and use it in an unusual way.  I love when some asks "Where'd you get this?" and I can respond by saying "I made it." or "I've always had it."  It feels great and it's fun!

For Mother's Day this year, I decided to make something special for my mom.  (I hope she doesn't read this before Sunday!)  She is buying a new house in a new town soon, and I wanted her to have something unique...a one of a kind piece.  So I made THIS:

Here are the supplies you'll need:
  • Scrabble board and letters
  • any strong adhesive (E6000 is always a good choice)
  • strong ribbon (I used grosgrain) 
  • large popsicle sticks (optional)
 

Once you have the supplies, the process is so simple:
  • Decide what names you want to use (I used my mom and dad, their kids and spouses, plus all of our children...15 in all).
  • Using your Scrabble tiles, incorporate all of the names onto the Scrabble board, as though you are playing a game of Scrabble.  This may be a long process - it's not easy! 
  • Once you know where each name will fit, begin gluing the letters down one at a time, making sure each tile is secure. 
  • Give the letters a chance to dry - at least several hours, preferably overnight.
  • Once the letters are dry, flip the board over and use the popsicle sticks to make the board more sturdy by gluing a row of them at the fold of the board. (This keeps the board from folding up.)
  • Cut your chose ribbon to your desired length - I did a 16 inch piece and glue the ends to the back of the board.  
  • Allow to try overnight..and voila! 

You can customize this as much you'd like:  cover the board with fabric or paper for a more decorative finish, add photos to the board, paint your letter tiles, cut the board down and have it fit into a frame...the possibilities are endless.  

I like the simplicity of the board by itself.  I think it's graphic and fun, perfect for a play room, game room, or basement. 

Please, let me know if you make this and how you do yours.  I'd love to hear about it. 





 

3 comments: