Pages

Jul 15, 2013

Snake Pendant DIY

This charming snake pendant (see what I did there?) costs only pennies to make!

I had these little party favors from the dollar store, and I selected the snake.
Then I cut off the little tongue, and I made a small hole through the middle of part of the tail.  (I used a 1/16" hole punch.)
Next, I spray painted it gold and let it dry.
Then I used an Ultra-Fine Point black Sharpie to fill in the eye area.  After that, I used metallic black puff paint in the center of each eye for more dimension.  Let that dry.

At this point, I also decided it needed a bit more "gold" so I used a little Gold Leaf Rub'n Buff.  Spray on a clear sealant and let it dry.
Add a jump ring to the hole you made earlier, slide it onto a chain, and enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. I'd love to know how this lasts. My experience with rub and buff required a sealer... it's not going to stop me from making one of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I actually did use a sealer, but forgot to put it in the original directions. I've added it to the post, and I expect that to dramatically help it last. Let me know how yours turns out. I was thinking it would also be fun to use other metallic colors or even try to do something more complex like a copperhead pattern. Hope to see you back here at Four Front Doors soon!

      Delete