Pages

Jun 24, 2013

Glue Gun Glam!

This is a fun way to use items you probably already have on hand for inexpensive, unique and pretty earrings!

Would you believe the main material for this project is...Drops from a glue gun!?

Supplies:
  • Printer with paper and ink
  • Hot glue gun and glue sticks
  • Silicone or non-stick heat-safe mat
  • Gold spray paint
  • Acrylic paint in various colors of your choice
  • Gloss finish lacquer 
  • Jump Rings (2)
  • Earring findings (2)
  • Strong adhesive (like E-6000)

Do this:

I started by printing off some circles in different sizes, and wound up using ones that were about an inch in diameter.

Place the page of circles underneath the silicon mat.

Using the circles as a guide, place dots of glue on the mat, making sure none of them touch!  
IMPORTANT:  Let them cool before you join the dots with more dots.  Otherwise, it will all just glob together.

After the forms cool completely, spray paint front and backs with gold paint.  To make this easier and less messy, I strung my forms on a piece of twine and tied it to either side of a cardboard box.  Let paint dry completely.



Get your acrylic paints together.  I used a metallic gold, pineapple yellow, a dusty green, peacock blue, navy, and dark purple.

Begin by choosing three colors (I used yellow, peacock, navy) and use one of each color to paint the sections on, then middle, then bottom.  You'll probably need two coats.


Then just dab on colors in a close shade with a tiny paintbrush, then dab off with paper towel.  I dabbed at it until I got a look I liked.  I also swirled similar colors together.  When it was a little dryer, I used the metallic gold and repeated the brushing-and-dabbing process.  Last, I used a tiny bit of copper colored Rub-n-Buff around the very edges, but you could do without that if you want.

After this dried completely (didn't take very long), I liked the look, but it was a bit dull, so I used a glossy lacquer spray to make it shiny.  I did three coats, with just a little drying time in between.

Next I took a jump ring and attached it to the earring finding.  

Using E-6000, I simply glued the jump ring to the back of the form, making sure the hook faced the correct direction and didn't get glued.

Once the adhesive dries completely, they're ready to wear and show off!


By the way, I saw similar earrings for $420, but these were SUPER CHEAP!!  The only supplies I had to buy were the jump rings and the earring findings.  

Jump rings - $1.39 for a pack of 12 = 11.5 cents each.  I used two, for 23 cents.
Earring findings - $1.39 for a pack of 8 = 17 cents each.  I used two, for just under 35 cents.
I already had everything else and used minimal amounts of each, so basically these earrings cost me less than 60 cents for the pair!



56 comments:

  1. Charlotte! These are amazing!! Great project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte - you are brilliant! Can't wait to try these myself. Did you try placing the jump ring into the hot glue glob before it cooled? I might try that when I test out your technique. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Darrelyn! I didn't try that technique with the jump ring, but I considered it afterward. I think it might work as well or even better than the way I did it. If you try it, I'd love to hear how it worked!

      Delete
  3. You are amazing I love these. I am gonna try them today. Did I mention that you are a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shut-the-front-door! Awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, these are amazing! Good Job

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these!!! Thanks for sharing your genius with those of us who believe imitation is the greatest form of flattery... LOL... I wish I could see how others interpret your gorgeous earrings. I plan on making at least one pair,thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for all your kind comments. I'm so flattered!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fantastic. Tks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are awesome! I am flabbergasted!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these - and like that they will be big - but not 'heavy'!!! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is really a cool idea and these would certainly be lightweight! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  12. glue drops seriously??!! superb

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm, very cool idea! I'm thinking other shapes, maybe some long
    strands, side by side...how bout squares? squiggles?How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Charlotte,
    I love this idea....your earrings are beautiful! Question for you, how did you get the glue dots to turn out so nicely? Mine have little strings all over, or come out looking more like a chocolate kiss (with the "swirl" on top!). Does it matter if you are using a low melt versus high melt gun? Or small vs larger gun? Any tips you can share with us? Thanks much for your help & the great idea! :) Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question! I used high temp glue in a small gun. After I made each drop, I kind of hovered the gun tip over the glue drop (Without pressing the trigger) and very slightly swirled it to keep the strings to a minimum. I did have some strings too, and I was able to rub a lot of them off with my fingers (after they cooled). Any strings that were along the edge, I just cut off with a blade. But once you paint and spray them, they seem to disappear. I made several (as you see in my pics) partly for this reason, so I could choose the best of the bunch. You'll notice mine DO have strings (see the gold pic and the one after the first coat of paint colors). I think the final coating with gloss makes a big difference and is key to disguising the stringy bits. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Great! Thanks for your help! J.

      Delete
  15. So love these, will be trying very soon with the Fall season approaching. Thanks for sharing.

    Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  16. absolutely brilliant! waiting to try 'em. thank you so much for sharing :D
    GOD bless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Guess what .. I found neon glue sticks as well as glow in the dark glue sticks at Walmart today!! A easy way to brighten up this trick : ) I'm trying it now.. Thanks for sharing ur creativity!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Sounds like a few big steps saved, and what fun! Feel free to send us pics of your finished project!

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Glad you liked it. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  19. Great job! I would've never guessed this was made with glue sticks! :)

    http://cafecraftea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow this is a great and cheap idea love it!
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  21. What about gluing a backing onto them? Something like felt would give it stability without adding weight and make them last longer.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What about gluing a backing onto them? Something like felt would give it stability without adding weight and make them last longer.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely clever! Got to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are so cool. I think you could make a necklace to go with them. Gonna try to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are so cool. I think you could make a necklace to go with them. Gonna try to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  26. too good...i just loved it n dying to try these

    ReplyDelete
  27. awesome genius idea love it super cool gotta try it out myself

    ReplyDelete
  28. I agree with Cynthia, a statement necklace would be fab!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, these are stunning Charlotte, who would have thunk!! 😉 I'm not a big fan of earrings (for myself, at least), but I think I'm gonna try this as a brooch, so original!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. cartilage hoop earringsReally very informative content is here, thanks for sharing such info.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just LOVE these and plan on making some for Xmas gifts this year. Has anyone tried to make different shapes such as a long oval instead of a circle????
    Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  32. You have really selected the suitable topic; this is one of my favorite blogs. dating tips for women

    ReplyDelete
  33. just gorgeous, beautiful and simple

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh, I'm so frustrated! My dots are coming out so badly! Most of mine look way smaller than yours and not as nice. I will try changing glue guns but this one is my smallest and hottest. Any suggestions? Love these and want to make some for Xmas gifts. Lis

    ReplyDelete
  35. There is good collection of the articles with informative stuff. suitsAnarkali

    ReplyDelete
  36. Drops from a glue gun!? Supplies: Printer with paper and ink; Hot glue gun and glue sticks; Silicone or ... temperaturegun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Charlotte, I have something to ask you and prefer not to do it on your website. Could you contact me at MarkMontanoNYC@aol.com Thanks so much. Mark

    ReplyDelete
  39. Why not use colored glue sticks to begin with. Then use the gold rub and buff Just wondering. You do know that you can tint Elmer's glue and make glue dots too..Works and they are so pretty then just glue together.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Just made several of these without the earring bit. Painted them gold and gonna get some more paint on when then that dries. Then gonna hook them together as a necklace instead. My best friend is gonna LOVE it as a christmaspresent, it is so her.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Charlotte,
    Thank you so much for sharing these beautiful creations... Superb!

    ReplyDelete
  42. me gusto mucho tu idea.y gracia por mostrar nos tus tea bajo

    ReplyDelete
  43. So amazing! Thank you! I have seen this done with metal clay which is more difficult and a lot more expensive!! Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete