Pages

Apr 10, 2013

A Year-Round Tree

Last fall, my dear neighbor, Denise (you can read about her in this post), found a decoration at our local discount store and she just HAD to get it for me!  We had seen an expensive version in a cute boutique earlier, and she knew I would love this little metal tree.


Here it is all dressed for Easter.
At first glance, this may seem like a winter or Christmas decoration.  After all, it looks like a fir tree, right?  

Not so fast!  Here what I did with it last fall when Denise first dropped it at my front door (please forgive the terrible phone picture):  I put a garland of foil fall leaves on it.  This was good for September through November (let's just ignore the fact that only maybe two weeks in those months actually FEEL like fall here in Texas...but I digress).

Then came Advent (the season leading up to Christmas) and Christmas.  We took off the fall leaves and used it to hang our Advent ornaments.  I wish I had taken a picture! These were up until early January.  You might want to do something more traditional, like tiny Christmas balls or a garland of tiny lights or (I'm getting ideas, here) vintage ornaments from your local junk/antique store!  

Over Christmas vacation, the kids and I made some wintery crafts.  I wanted to use colors that weren't necessarily Christmasy so that I could keep them up for longer.  Here is what we came up with.





Those fun things were up until March, when it began to be spring!  Then, I found our Easter decorations and also received some new ones from my  mom.  So at the  moment we have this in the dining room.




You may not know that the Easter season is actually 50 days (according to the church calendar)!   I may keep the Easter decorations up for another month or so, as spring will last at least that long!

What will I do with the tree come summer?  I'm thinking American flags and some sparkly things for Independence Day.  Even just some tiny white lights would look festive and summery as move into the hot months.

What ideas do you have?  Do you change your decorations according to the season?  Or is that too fussy for you?  Let me know in the comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment