Pages

Mar 13, 2013

Baked Pears {Easiest Dessert Ever!}

When I was growing up, my mother made dessert maybe once a week. Twice, if we were very lucky!  In my own home now, while we LOVE dessert, I serve it quite rarely unless we have company or it is a special occasion.
A few weeks ago, I tried something that has proved to be one of the easiest, quickest desserts yet.  And it's not terrible for you!  This is a dessert any mother could love.
I made it for the family one night, and served it to guests just last weekend.  Children and grown-ups alike loved it.  Give it a try and you might have a new favorite!

Here is what you will need:





And here's what you do:

Peel, half and core the pears.  Use any kind of pear you like.  I think that bigger ones look nicer after cooking.  In fact, as beautiful as these red pears are, they were a bit on the small side.

If the pears are soft enough, you could use a melon-baller to get the core out.  Or, just use the tip of a paring knife.

Put the pear halves into a microwave-safe dish.  Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. You could also put raisins, granola, dried cranberries or any number of delicious things on top. Cover the dish loosely with wax paper and microwave for five to seven minutes on HIGH. DO NOT neglect to cover the pears!  It keeps them from drying out and becoming tough.




Place pear halves in individual bowls, accompanied by a scoop of vanilla ice cream (here in Texas, we are partial to Blue Bell, but you could use another brand.  If you must.)



Yum!  There is just something about fruit, cinnamon and vanilla ice cream that can't be beat!  Delish.
My kids all wanted two pear halves, so I would say plan for one pear per person.

Enjoy, and let me know if you try it!

1 comment: